About the 2018 Summer Language Camp
Summer Language & Leadership Camp: Learn Arabic, Chinese or Korean
This language and culture camp focuses on fostering language acquisition, intercultural understanding, and a desire for international travel. During the camp, students will learn basic communicative writing, reading, listening, and speaking skills in classes taught using immersion methodology. The camp will introduce students to practices and perspectives of the Arabic-, Korean- and Chinese-speaking world, as well as the leadership skills that will enable them to become local youth leaders with a global perspective. Students will learn through classroom activities, guest speakers, music, and field trips. The last day of the camp will feature student performances in a culminating showcase for classmates, family, and community members.
- 30 hours per week, 90 hours total
- Students can earn 0.5 world language credits on their high school transcript.
- Beginner Modern Standard Arabic
- Beginner Mandarin Chinese
- Beginner Korean
- Grade Level: We accept high school students only (entering grades 9-12 in AY 2018-18), as well as recently graduated high school seniors (class of 2018).
- Students must be enrolled in a US school or home school programs.
- Minimum Cumulative GPA: We require a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.0. For students entering the 9th grade, we require a minimum cumulative 8th-grade GPA of 2.0. For students in high schools with non-traditional grading systems, please send a copy of your unofficial transcript.
- Other Considerations: Ideally students accepted into the summer camp would be able to continue language learning in our after-school classes taking place across Seattle Public Schools.
Program CostThere is a $25 registration fee that should be paid within one week of completing the application. OneWorld Now! will send an invoice to the email listed in your application. Due to support from STARTALK, there are no other fees or deposits to attend this camp; all meals, snacks and supplies will be provided.
- Thursday, June 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so apply now!
- Admission will be offered to 17 students for each language.
Accepted students and their family members will be invited to attend our Family Orientation Night. This will be a wonderful opportunity to meet the camp staff, ask questions, and learn more about our organization and our summer camp. Once accepted, we will notify you about the 2018 orientation date.
Because the camp is of such short duration, OWN enforces a very strict attendance policy. Your teachers and peers will expect 100% participation from you throughout the camp. Missing just one day is the equivalent of missing 1.5 weeks of class during the regular school year. Although we understand that unexpected things sometimes come up (illness, family emergencies, etc.), our policy is that students who miss more than three days of the camp will be asked to withdraw from the program.
We also require that you be present on the first two days of the camp, as well as the last two days of the camp. No exceptions will be made, even for illness or any other reason. If you miss the first day or second day of the camp, then we will select a student from the wait list to take your spot. If you already know of other summer plans that may conflict with this policy, then we ask that you rearrange your other plans in order to accommodate our camp schedule.