OneWorld Now! is an award-winning and innovative social venture that exists to develop the next generation of global leaders. OWN is committed to providing critical language skills, leadership training, and study abroad opportunities to underserved youth. We are innovative in that we are one of the only programs in the nation that
- Spends at least one year preparing youth by providing language and leadership training to ensure their success abroad
- Focuses on providing access to study abroad opportunities to mostly low-income youth and students of color
- Teaches Arabic, Chinese, Korean and Russian, four strategically important languages that are not typically offered in American public schools
- Offer an integrated and holistic program of language, leadership, and study abroad
- Increased access to critical language learning during and after school
- Increased access to study abroad opportunities, especially to underserved youth
- Promoting the “gap year” for all American youth to consider spending a year abroad volunteering and studying languages between high school and college
OneWorld Now! is developing global leaders by supporting our youth in being successful in all areas of their lives. Beyond the language, leadership, and study abroad program, OWN supports youth through mentorship, college prep, and networking for scholarships, internships, and career opportunities. Our passionate and committed staff, teachers, and volunteers reflect the OneWorld Now! students, who inspire us every day. Together we are all working towards creating a world that acknowledges how we are all connected and all responsible for each other’s well-being. We are…OneWorld…and the time to contribute positively is Now!.
OneWorld Now!‘s vision is to increase access to international opportunities, namely critical language studies, leadership development, and study abroad to all American youth. Our award-winning program in Seattle, Washington demonstrates the successful implementation of our innovative program model of language, leadership, and study abroad for underserved youth, who have historically had the least access to these life-changing opportunities. OWN is committed to working with students, teachers, parents, school districts, college and universities, and communities nationwide to support
OWN is helping to lead the “gap year” movement in America, where all American youth are encouraged to consider a year of service abroad. The “gap year” is a popular concept in many other nations throughout Europe, Australia, and New Zealand and is on the rise in America. OWN is especially interested in supporting underserved youth in taking a gap year.